Shop by Price
Shop by Price
- Sugarcraft Stencils
Using stencils is a quick and easy way to produce stunning cakes. Stencil designs can be applied to cakes coated with sugarpaste or royal icing. Here are just a few ways that stencils can be used to enhance your cakes.
Applying designs using dry edible dusting powder:-
1) Load a dry paint brush with your chosen dusting colour, such as Sugarflair blossom tints or lustre dusts, tap away excess powder.
2) Hold the stencil in place and use a dabbing action to apply the colour to the cake. Take care not to allow the paint brush bristles to slip underneath the edge of the stencil as this will cause a blurred outline.
3) Carefully lift the stencil away from the cake without allowing it to drag over the design as with this method the dusting powder is not fiexed in place and readily smudges.
Painting designs with dusting powder:-
1) Sprinkle some of your chosen dusting colour, such as Sugarflair blossom tints or lustre dusts, onto a mixing pallet and add enough clear alcohol to achieve a paint-like consistency. It may be necessary to add more alcohol as you work to keep the paint consistency the same. Alternatively use a ready mixed paint like Rainbow Dust metallic paints.
2) Hold the stencil in place and apply the colour as required. Take care not to allow the paint brush bristles to slip underneather the edge of the stencil as this will cause a blurred outline. PME lustre spray is also excellent for stencilling.
3) Carefully lift the stencil away from the cake without allowing it to drag over the design so as not to smudge the paint.
Stencilling using royal icing or buttercream:-
1) Mix the royal icing or buttercream to a spreadable consistency. A white stencilled design on a coloured cake can look very effective or colour the icing using an appropriate food colour like Sugarflair spectral paste colours.
2) Hold the stencil in place and spread a layer of icing over the design using a pallet knife. Different effects can be achieved by varying the thickness of the icing.
3) Immediately remove the stencil and leave the icing to dry. With royal icing the dry design will not smudge and can be enhanced with additional paint or dusting powder to add detail.